Tuesday, August 22, 2017

We Have Lift Off.

I don't know where summer went but now I am a day away from taking my son and 2nd child to college.   I had 19 years to prepare myself for this and it still sneaked up on me.
I am hoping that we prepared him for life...that this day will prove that he has the form, stamina and power to launch into this new world on his own.   Whatever the case this bird wants to fly, the rocket is ready to launch whether I am ready or not to see it happen. I think he mentally left a year ago and has been coasting to this day ever since.
Whatever motherly demands he puts to me, my response has been, "19 years is my limit now its time to make your own food!"   I am somewhat joking but seriously, when its time it's time.  My sentimental sappy mom side wants to get all Hallmarky but honestly, I know it's time and I couldn't be more thankful that he is excited to go.  That makes me excited for him and for all the new experiences he will have.  So I guess I can, somewhat, pat myself on the back that I am not pushing this bird out of the nest but he is jumping...it's much easier that way on everyone.
So..
What do I want him to know as he leaves?
1.  I will always love you no matter what. No grade, accomplishment or path you decide to go will change my love for you.

2. Sometimes college and life is not so fun.  We all remember the best times but...loans have to be paid back, relationships can be heartbreaking, and the cafeteria food will definitely be disappointing.
Hopefully you will have enough sense to work hard when you don't want to, remember that there are other fish in the sea, and your mama's food will taste better than you remembered when you come home.

3.  Kindness, forgiveness, and love go a long way.  No amount of talent or cleverness can replace good character.  Be kind. Love big. Look over an offense.

4. Don't be a push over but do listen and hear people out because even though you think you know everything you don't and listening to others will help you learn and help you make a well informed opinion.

5. Your opinions do and will change but don't compromise the absolute truths you have learned and know from experience.

6. There is a friend that sticks closer than a brother and His name is Jesus.  Keep close to Him and share Him with everyone.

Here is a tip for mamas who are crying into their coffee mug every morning because their babies are gone.
1. It's okay to cry.  Raising a child to adulthood is the most important and difficult job you will have and maybe somewhere in the middle (some of us at the beginning) we wanted to quit but somehow, in the end, we just feel so sure we can't live without them. Going cold turkey from the addiction of motherhood is tough, it takes time to get used to our new normal.  The truth is they will be back and we will be able to adjust but it's okay to cry, you earned the right.
2. Stop crying. Keep it together for their sake and save the blubbering for the long ride home.  I know the scene that you keep creating in your mind of the long and emotional goodbyes...driving away waving and blowing kisses as you watch your son/daughter become a dot in the distance as they wave and watch you pull away.  This is it mama's we have trained them and they are ready to launch don't interfere with take off by making them responsible for your
feelings. Trust God to be with them when we cannot and if that scene you created in your mind doesn't happen, its okay, just remember when they were difficult and you wished them to grow up and thank God they did.

3. Celebrate. This is a great day!  Our kids are doing it!  They are embracing their future and walking into the great unknown.  It is good to rejoice in the passages of life.

4. Enjoy your new life.  Find the good and embrace the new things God can do in your life. Don't feel guilty about doing things that you never had time for, I am sure God has some great opportunities planned for you...after you stop crying. 

I hope these days of change will be a way to trusting a Love that is bigger and better than yours for your children's future and yours too. 



" O Lord, you have examined my heart
    and know everything about me. 
 You know when I sit down or stand up.
    You know my thoughts even when I’m far away. 
 You see me when I travel
    and when I rest at home.
    You know everything I do. 
 You know what I am going to say
    even before I say it, Lord.
You go before me and follow me.
    You place your hand of blessing on my head...

If I ride the wings of the morning,
    if I dwell by the farthest oceans,
even there your hand will guide me,
    and your strength will support me. 
 I could ask the darkness to hide me
    and the light around me to become night— 
     but even in darkness I cannot hide from you.
To you the night shines as bright as day.
    Darkness and light are the same to you."
Psalms 139:1-5, 9-12

No comments:

Post a Comment