Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Wholesome 30 Challenge


 Last month I jumped on the band wagon and did the Whole30. Those of you who do not know what that is, I will give you a brief description from co creator Melissa Hartwig:
Certain food groups (like sugar, grains, dairy and legumes) could be having a negative impact on your health and fitness without you even realizing it. Are your energy levels inconsistent or non-existent? Do you have aches and pains that can’t be explained by over-use or injury? Are you having a hard time losing weight no matter how hard you try? Do you have some sort of condition, like skin issues, digestive ailments, seasonal allergies, or chronic pain, that medication hasn’t helped? These symptoms are often directly related to the foods you eat—even the “healthy” stuff. So how do you know if (and how) these foods are affecting you?
Strip them from your diet completely. Eliminate the most common craving-inducing, blood sugar disrupting, gut-damaging, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days. Let your body heal and recover from whatever effects those foods may be causing. Push the reset button with your health, habits, and relationship with food, and the downstream physical and psychological effects of the food choices you’ve been making. Learn how the foods you’ve been eating are actually affecting your day-to-day life, long term health, body composition, and feelings around food. The most important reason to keep reading?
This will change your life.
I cannot possibly put enough emphasis on this simple fact—the next 30 days will change your life. It will change the way you think about food. It will change your tastes. It will change your habits and your cravings. It will restore a healthy emotional relationship with food, and with your body. It has the potential to change the way you eat for the rest of your life. I know this because I did it, and millions people have done it since, and it changed my life (and their lives) in a dramatic and permanent fashion.

 I was reluctant to subject myself to this pain of deprivation but I figured I could do anything for 30 days, right?  I was right, although there was some grumbling in the desert of Gluten-Dairy Free, I did survive, but no one should ever have to live without cheese. I have a new compassion for those of you dairy intolerant people, I'm so sorry.
So the question asked, “How was it?”  “How do you feel now?” Honestly, I did feel better and I didn't die without bread and dairy (not literally, anyways) but my bigger take away was that I could psychologically conquer matter with my mind...albeit, with a little crying.

Did it change my life?  Well, let’s be totally honest, I can't give it that much credit. I am all about a good detox and resetting my body; I can even be a health guru sometimes,but let's get real... nothing can change your life like Jesus. So, while I was in the whole30 desert I decided I would create my own whole30 challenge for true life change, because we all need a good detox from wrong thinking and the only way to do this is knowing truth.
...And because we are all dense and need the hammer of truth to sink it in deep, this idea came to me right in time for our new series titled Toxic. Here is the description of this week’s sermon: “Need a little personal poison control? Are there relationships, thoughts, or behaviors that quietly compromise our well-being? How can we learn to recognize and remove the hidden dangers in our lives? This morning Pastor Mark will unpack the ways that we can reject poison in our life and replace it with God truth.”  Coincidence? I don't think so...that's how the Holy Spirit works so, this is what we are going to do, I am challenging you to a wholesome30 and eating all the bread you want...the bread of life I mean:
Certain habits (like slander, gossip, or entertaining negative thoughts about yourself and others) could be having a negative impact on your  heart and spiritual walk without you even realizing it. Is your prayer time inconsistent or non-existent? Do you have bad attitudes and strained relationships that can’t be fixed? Are you having a hard time keeping friends no matter how hard you try? Do you have some sort of heart condition, like jealousy, self hate, impure thoughts, or chronic potty mouth, that you can’t seem to get a handle on? These symptoms are often directly related to the things you feed your mind….even the “healthy” things you try to do once a week are not enough to help you. So how do you know if this isn’t you?

Strip negative talk from your life completely. Eliminate the most common wrong craving-inducing, , gut-damaging , inflammatory talk  for a full 30 days. Let your body mind and spirit heal and recover from whatever effects those negative thoughts and words may be causing. Push the reset button with your mind and heart, habits, and relationships, and the downstream physical and psychological effects of the words and thought choices you’ve been making. Learn how the thoughts you’ve been indulging in are actually affecting your day-to-day life, long term health, church body, and relationships. The most important reason to keep reading?
This will change your life.
I cannot possibly put enough emphasis on this simple fact—the next 30 days will change your life. It will change the way you think about yourself, Jesus and others. It will change your desires. It will change your habits and your cravings. It will restore a healthy emotional relationship with your family, friends and everyone you meet. It has the potential to change the way you live for the rest of your life. I know this because I did it, and millions of people have done it since, and it changed my life (and their lives) in a dramatic and permanent fashion.

Ready for a life change?  You can do this...it’s just the start to a better life of freedom from poisonous, potentially life threatening habits.

Everyday for 30 days we are going to pray for these things:

  1. Transform my heart and renew my mind so my thoughts are pleasing to you. (Ps. 51:10 Romans 12:2)
  2. Let my words give life and help me to hold my tongue when I want to say something that is not helpful or edifying about myself or others. (Proverbs 18:21 Ephesians 4:29)
  3. Give me love for those who don't like me or hate me and not repay evil with evil but help me to sincerely do good to them. (Mt. 5:44 Luke 6:35, 1 Peter 3:9)
  4. When I am feeling anxious, fearful or worried help me to trust you with every need big and small. (Phil 4:6-7 Matt 6:25-34) (1 Tim 1:7)
  5. Help me to think of others more highly than myself (Phil 2:3-7)
  6. Help me to forgive more and judge less myself and others. (Matt 6:14-15, Matt 7:4-5, Eph. 4:31-32, 1John 1:9  Ps. 103:12)
  7. Let your word speak to me and give me new revelation of who you are, who I am in you and your love for me. (Romans 10:17, Hebrew 4:12, Ps. 119:11, Eph 2:10)
  8. Take captive my thoughts and make them obedient to your truth.  (2 Cor 10:5)
  9. Help me to not entertain poisonous conversations and know when it's time to walk away from an unhealthy relationship. (Proverbs 26:20-22, 1 Cor 5:11, 1 Cor 15:33, Prov. 13:20 Prov 14:7)
  10. Help me to protect my heart and put good into my mind. (Proverbs 4:23, Luke 6:45)

No comments:

Post a Comment