Saturday, June 19, 2010

My 13 year lesson on boys...Happy birthday, Noah!



Today is my son's birthday. We already celebrated it but I thought I would write a post in honor of him.
From his beginning Noah was easy. His delivery was quick and easy and that was just a foreshadowing of what life in general would be like with Noah. He has been our easy-going, fun loving boy from the start. Always able to take bossing from his sister and endure wounds without a tear. And it seems that I just looked away and when I looked back he had turned into this young man.
I never had a brother and boys have been quite the mystery to me but having a son has given me an up close and personal lesson on the joy and struggles of boys. I am now a more understanding and compassionate woman to my dear "brothers" in this world! All I have to do is think about my own son and it gives me a greater sensitivity to their plight.
When Noah was 4 he said he was going to live with me forever! When Noah was 6 he said he would build a house right next door and live but he would not get married. When he was 8 he said that he would probably get married and live next door. When he was 10 he said that he would probably not live next door. Now he says, he might not even live in the same country. Having boys is both exciting and heartbreaking for a mom. God made it so they naturally pull away from mom to be mentored by dad...and mom just gets to cheer them on from the sidelines and put in her advice here and there. The pulling away is happening and I am rejoicing that my boy is growing up and learning to be a man from one of the best men I know, his father.
God gave me an incredible gift in my son Noah, and along with that a new perspective of "boy"...they are fascinating!

No comments:

Post a Comment